Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Happy New Year!!

Tim and I received a deep fryer for Christmas and planned to make homemade chicken tenders and sweet potato fries as our New Years Day dinner.  We picked up some vegetable oil while grocery shopping this past weekend  (after much debate as to what the "best" oil would be).  :)

I bought a 1 pound of packaged chicken tenders and we used the recipe on the back of the Bisquick box for the chicken tenders coating.  It was super easy!!

 I sliced up three sweet potatoes.  We decided not to do anything special with them, just toss them in the fryer.

Tim looking in the little peep hole while our first batch of fries were cooking.  It was difficult to see in because the window built up with a lot of moisture.  

 We did a layer of fries at a time as the directions say to do for "best results".  The directions also say to cook the fries for 15 minutes which is just ridiculous.  As you can see our first batch came out a little DARK!  However, we did consume about half of them because...seriously...if it's fried, it's gooood!!

We never even made it to the kitchen table to eat dinner.  As everything came out of the fryer we just ate it right there at the counter.  :)  Our first batch of chicken tenders was also a little dry and overcooked.  The cooking times suggested were more than half too long!  We found about 5-7 minutes was plenty for both the fries and chicken.  
We were so busy consuming the deliciousness that I forgot to take any pictures of the finished product.  This is mid-eating with more frying going on.  

I'm looking forward to making onion rings and dough boys!!  The fryer won't be something we use all the time, but I'm super excited to have it.  The oil is a little expensive and if you cook raw meat you can't save it. Plus, I think it might be a little unhealthy to eat too much fried food.  :)

3 comments:

Karen said...

Yum yum Yummy....can't wait to use mine! Colby and I were talking about it last night when we facetimed that we would us it as soon as he got home :)

Gram said...

Glad you like it.Nice to have something different at times to eat..

Colleen said...

YUM!!!