Sunday, May 13, 2007

Health Problems

I may be turning 25 in 12 days, but my health is that of a 55 year old. I've been back and forth with the doctor's office this past month dealing with my blood pressure. It's a little high, not dangerous, but enough that it has to be dealt with now. Well, I had some blood work done and also found out my cholesterol is a little high (again, nothing dangerous). So, with the blood pressure I am going to stop taking birth control pills for about 3 months (the pill is known to raise blood pressure). I have a blood pressure cuff from the doctor's office and I need to check it twice a day and see if there is a change. If there is no change than I will be put on blood pressure medication! BOO!!! As for the cholesterol I need to do more to boost my good cholesterol level (exercise, watch fat intake and another thing the doctor said was have a glass of alcohol a day! haha I guess it can boost good cholesterol by a few points). The cholesterol isn't as big of a worry as I said before - I will not be put on medication for this at least for now. Both high blood pressure and high cholesterol run in my family. My grandmother (my dads mom) had a stroke at the age of 32! YIKES! So, it's something I am taking seriously for obvious reasons. After I found all this stuff out (on Friday) I went back to work and felt depressed. At 25 I wasn't expecting to be watching what I eat because of serious health issues! I don't need to have a heart attack by the time I'm 30!

5 comments:

Colleen said...

Yikes... a stroke at 32 is scary!! Good thing you are right on top of all that stuff. Rick and I practice the "if you don't know about it, then you don't have it" type of medicine ;)

Kristie said...

haha! =o)

Artistically Twisted said...

At least you are taking care of looking after yourself... I have to admit... I to seem to lean towards the path Rick and Colleen have. ;0)

Rick Jordan said...

LOL- it isn't funny! I haven't been to a doctor since I was 18 years old and I have to say I am lucky nothing has happened! I pay $5500 a year for health insurance and I should win some kind of reward for not using any of it! On a side note, I don;t want to know what my blood pressure and cholesterol are! They would stick my on four medicines that in turn would take three more medicines to alter those effects and before you know it, you are popping pills all over the place!

Kristie said...

I completely understand - I HATE the thought of taking medicine. My doctor understands that and is trying everything possible to see what I can do to change my health on my own WITHOUT medicine!