Thursday, July 24, 2008

THE POWER OUTAGE OF '08

So, of course I was at work when the Great Power Outage occurred as I'm sure most of you were. We all assumed the power would only be out a few minutes, but then as time started to pass everyone began to wonder what was going on. I swear people even started saying things like "...ever since 9-11 you just don' t know what can happen". We frantically searched for a battery powered radio and to our luck found a teeny tiny radio (literally about 2"x 2"). We tuned in to a station that was taking phone calls from anyone and everyone (as I think all the stations were). People were amazed at driving from Lincoln to Milford and not seeing any lights/electricity. One lady called and said "my friends mom works at Bangor Hydro and she said they were working on something and something went wrong". Clearly, this lady is a moron for calling in and second of all what she was saying was WRONG! The spokes person for Bangor Hydro was on the radio and talked about the lightening hitting the Orrington transmitter or whatever and that almost all of their customer had no power. Good Lord, NO POWER for all of Bangor Hydro customers? How could they let such a thing happen? There's no back up for when a transmitter goes down? Anyway, the 2 hours of blackness was actually rather fun at work. Everyone was in a great mood because they didn't have to work.

I wonder if Bangor Hydro will ask Channel 5 to help them release a documentary of The Power Outage of '08.

*this blog has been slightly dramatized for effect or is affect??

6 comments:

Rick Jordan said...

I thought the whole power outage thing SUCKED! Hard to work on equipment when you can't even open your garage doors! 94% of my job requires my little box on my desk to work or I am pretty much useless! Then the power came back on and I was 3 hours behind on everything and the day just really went downhill from there! I am glad it is over is really all I have to say!

Colleen said...

I thought it pretty much rocked! We sat around and chatted for 2 hours and debated on how long it would be before we would get to go home early ;)

Kristie said...

It did rock! We had wondered the same thing about going home and then the radio said it could take until 12:00 to get the power back and at that point it was only 9:00! Sure enough, it came back and surprisingly people cheered! Weirdos!

Rick Jordan said...

I don't think I cheered! I thought, about friggin' time! Now I can go to work!" Plus, I knew Hampden and my wife had power 45 minutes before we did! The only thing that worked was my phone!

Anonymous said...

I was pretty pumped about the power outage as well! Lew also said he heard that the power outage was because Bangor Hydro and CMP overloaded something or what not! Of course if that was the truth they are not going to say that was the reason haha Or hell I wouldn't.. you'd just look dumb! but of course it could of just been the lightning as well... not that I saw any! BUT who cares.. it didn't hurt my feeling when it was out I was actually upset it came on so soon I wanted to miss more work hahaha

Nicole said...

It didn't bother my one bit! I just did other stuff and held off on going to the office, mostly because I am not sitting in that freaking office without A/C!!