Sunday, February 20, 2011

Nurse Nancy's Bran Muffins


I know everyone is anxious to know the bran muffin recipe that I got from the nurse the other day. :) I made some this afternoon and they are delicious! I even got Tim to try one! He liked it, but then he said they gave him heartburn. I don't think he knows what heartburn is because even I didn't get heartburn from these!! haha

So - if you're looking for a healthy fiber kick with a ton of other GOOD stuff (and maybe a couple of bad like sugar, crisco, buttermilk) than these muffins are perfect for you! According to nurse Nancy the last 4 spices in the recipe are key factors in helping you stay "regular". The recipe is large and depending on how big you like your muffins than this could make up to 4 dozen muffins!! I got 3 dozen plus 5. Some of the muffins I made were a little larger than others too.

Nancy's Bran Muffins
1 - 150z box Raisin Bran
1 cup melted Crisco
3 cups Sugar
5 cups Flour
5 tsp baking soda
4 tsp salt
4 eggs
1 qt Buttermilk OR 1 qt whole milk soured w/ 1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg

Mix dry ingredients, add egg, milk, stir
Optional: add 1-2 cups blueberries
Pre-heat oven 400 degrees
Bake 20 mins in greased muffin tins
** I used buttermilk rather than the soured whole milk and I used 2 cups of blueberries, but would have preferred more. And I think she said something about replacing the Crisco with sunflower oil to cut out some of the badness, but I didn't look into that. :)

No comments: